Hi everyone! Dani here from High Walls with a DIY Craft project for all of you nature lovers out there!
Maybe it’s Autumn where you are and the trees and leaves are in lovely warm hues. Perhaps, like for me, it’s Summer and everything is green and bright. Even if it’s already coming into winter in your part of the world, you can use this wonderfully simple DIY project to bring a little bit of the outdoors in! Collect some pretty leaves and twigs from around your garden or neighborhood and you can put together these pretty little candle holders to decorate your home.
Leaves in various shapes and sizes
Small Glass tumblers
Double Sided Tape
Tea Light Candles
1. Collect some leaves/branches from the garden to use. You want leaves that are as tall as your glass and preferably thinner so that they can wrap around the glass without breaking. Separate the leaves from the branches and sort into groups. I used three different sets of leaves – tall stems to use as a base, small long leaves and pretty seeded ‘flower’s as decoration.
2. Run a line of double sided tape around the outside of glass about 1/3 of the way down and just about the base of the glass.
3. Starting from one side, press the first base leaf onto the tape. Repeat with another leaf, overlapping the first. Continue all the way around the glass until you have covered the surface completely. It doesn’t matter if you can see the glass through the leaves.
4. Take a length of twine or string that is at least twice as long as the diameter of the glass. Leaving around 2 in (5 cm) at the end, use your thumb to anchor the string and start to layer the decoration leaves upon the base row, using the string the anchor the new leaves. Continue around the glass until you are back at the beginning. This can be a little fiddly, so feel free to use a table to steady your hand.
5. Tie off the twine (using the 2 in end you left in the previous step) and adjust any of the leaves that may have slipped in the process. Wrap the rest of the twine around the glass and tuck into the other row of twine.
6. Place a single tea light candle into each glass and light up to admire the pretty dappled light that flickers from between the leaves.
What’s great about this project is that it’s temporary. Your leaves will eventually break down and when they do, you can easily remove the string and tape and reclaim your glass tumblers to use as drinking glasses again.
Dani (DIY Craft contributor)
click here for more diy craft!