You know what makes me sad? Winter produce. Not that I don’t like it, but the fact that it frequently gets overlooked. We often attribute fruits and veggies with the summer season. (Helloooo loves of my life: tomatoes, peppers, stone fruit, strawberries, watermelon….) But the winter has so much beautiful produce to offer as well!
SHAVED BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND ENDIVE SALAD
– 2 cups endive
– 8 brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
– 5 radishes, thinly sliced
– ¼ cup kalamata olives
– Juice of 1 grapefruit (about ½ cup)
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
– 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
– 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
– 1 small shallot, minced
– Sea salt and black pepper
1. Place all prepared salad ingredients in a bowl.
2. To make dressing, place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, whisk all ingredients together for a dressing with more texture.
3. Toss dressing into salad and serve.
I don’t normally put grapefruit in my salads, but the tangy mixture of tart and bitter is a most wonderful juxtaposition of flavors.
Grapefruit – High in vitamin C and other antioxidants, cancer protective, prevents kidney stones and aids detox.
Brussels sprouts – High in vitamin K and vitamin C, aids detox, anti-inflammatory, supports cardiovascular health, high in fiber and aids digestion.
Apple cider vinegar – alkalizing, aids detox, supports skin health, soothes a sore throat, aids digestion, anti-bacterial and aids allergies.
Recipe & ingredient highlights by Giovanna Garcia // Words & photography by Micaela Hoo
click here for more recipes.