I’d love to say that this DIY was inspired by nature, but that would be a fib – it’s a complete fluke that the peonies the Texan (boyfriend) bought me look identical to these tissue paper pom poms! So I’ll call them “pom pom peonies.” Anyhow, inspired by nature or not, this is a quick and easy DIY which can really add some fun to your bedroom, or perhaps for a party or wedding… and here’s how you can make your own.
- Eight sheets of tissue paper in the color of your choice
- Ribbon or invisible thread
1. Lay out eight sheets of tissue paper flat on a table and fold them like an accordion along the shortest edge, all the way from one end to the other.
2. Fold in the center and tightly tie a piece of string around the middle point.
3. Tie a piece of ribbon or invisible string to the string in the center, so that you have something from which to hang your pom pom.
4. Cut each end of the paper to create a petal-like shape. The overall size of your pom pom depends on how much you cut away, so you can have a mix of large and small pom poms if you’d like.
5. Open up the tissue paper into a ring and then gently start to separate each piece of tissue paper. (I found it easiest to pull apart four pieces of tissue paper on one side, and then turn over to pull apart the other four pieces on the other side).
It doesn’t really matter if you tear any of the paper, it will be hidden amongst all of the folds anyway!
Hang your pom poms wherever you like and arrange them so that it looks like they are cascading from the ceiling. And there you are – who needs peonies when you have tissue paper pom poms to brighten up your room?!
Cat (DIY Craft Contributor)
click here for more diy craft!