BEHIND THE BLOG:
Hi there! I’m Micaela Hoo, a 20-year-old photographer, graphic designer and blogger behind Drifter & the Gypsy. I like old movies, Sunday mornings, crunchy apples, books, exercising, summertime and all things creative. Welcome to Drifter & the Gypsy! Do take a seat (perhaps boil a cup of tea) and stay a while, will you?
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area with my mom, dad, and dog Aubrey. I love it here and wouldn’t trade it for the world.
Want to read more? Visit the FAQ page to learn more about me.
ABOUT THE BLOG:
During my freshman year in high school, I experienced many changes in life: moving 3,000 miles away from home in Connecticut, starting high school, and adjusting to a new environment. I was overwhelmed, needing an outlet for self-expression. This led me to start Drifter & the Gypsy, which enabled me to cope with the anxieties of change. Through this medium of communication, I was able to connect with others in similar situations and thereby harness our talents to accomplish something positive, while promoting a healthful lifestyle.
I get much satisfaction touching the lives and sensibilities of young women that I may not have otherwise met. I continually challenge myself to find the positives in my everyday environment. Not only does this encourage me, but it also gives me an exhilarating feeling when I’m able to effectively communicate these findings to others. My challenge never ends. There is an infinite amount of positive things in art; that in itself is a beautiful thing.
As an artist, I endeavor to find beauty in my community and exhibit it to others. In this sense, I can inspire others to create for themselves while at the same time being motivated to create as well.
Drifter & the Gypsy features a wide range of contributors every week. Their columns form the core of the blog; these are posts you can count on on certain given days, while my posts work around the columns.
– The 1st Monday of every month features a new hair tutorial brought to you by Danika Lamb.
– The 1st Thursday of every month features a new craft tutorial brought to you by Dani Judith.
– The 2nd Thursday of every month features a new sewing tutorial brought to you by Lauren Winter.
– The 3rd Monday of the month features a new makeup/beauty tutorial brought to you by Melanie Liu.
– The 4th Monday of the month features a new recipe brought to you by Giovanna Garcia.
– The 4th Thursday of the month features a new carpentry tutorial brought to you by Malissa Levesque & Machelle Vanderhoeven.
**Think you’ve got something to add to Drifter & the Gypsy? Email email@example.com for regular contribution, guest post and internship opportunities.