We’ve all seen those old movies where the main character has a secret compartment in the bookcase. I always wanted to be able to tug on a book and have a secret passageway open up for me. How cool would it be to have a secret place to store your most precious things where no one would ever find them?
While I can’t show you how to make a book into a latch that opens a secret door, I can show you how to make a secret storage compartment that no one will ever find.
What you need is an old book, craft glue, a knife, a paint brush and a piece of cardboard.
1. Pop down to your local book or thrift store and pick up a book. You want to choose a book that is relatively thick so that your compartment will be deep enough to hide things in. Ensure it is a hardcover book.
2. Open the book to just after the title page. Using a paintbrush, paint a liberal amount of craft glue around the edge of the remaining pages. Place something heavy on the book (leaving the first few pages open) to keep all the glued pages together firmly as they dry. Repeat as many times as required until all the pages are stuck together firmly.
3. Take the cardboard and cut out the shape you want your compartment to be. Leave at least 2 – 3 cm from the edges to ensure they stay stuck.
4. Place the template onto the pages and press down. Using the knife, cut around the template, you should be able to cut around 10 pages at a time. Remove the pages as you go, after a few cuts you won’t need the template any more, you can use the previous cuts as a guide. Cut until you are about 1cm of the book from the back of the book.
5. Neaten up any rough edges and then apply a few coats of glue to the inside edges and backing page to seal. Allow to dry completely before using.
And there you have it! Who would guess there was a secret compartment hidden away on your bookshelf?
Bonus points for what kind of book you choose: go with a book you would actually read so that it blends in with the rest on your shelf or choose something completely out of character so you can always find it!
Dani (DIY Craft contributor)
click here for more diy craft by dani!